spinning studs (front)

To: mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca
Subject: spinning studs (front)
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 96 02:13:38 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Doug,
 I just re-read your post and noticed you were specifically speaking of
the "front" hub.
 The spindle will come off quite easily, the caliper has to come off first.
 Iam  assuming your car has 3/8 in. studs. DO NOT spot weld on the rotor.
The best way I know of to make this repair is to replace the stud. Use a
sherp punch and "peen" the inside edge of the stud hole. This will expand
the metal and slightly decrease the hole opening. Apply some RED Locktite
to the knurled edge of the stud and drive it gently as far as it will go
into the hole. Let the Locktite cure overnight before.
 I would also suggest some anti-sieze lubricant on all the studs. It will
make them easier to get off in the future.
 As a point of interest, I changed all the studs on my 68 GT6 to 7/16.
The measurements are 1 and 1/8in. long, knurled dia. 1/2 in, shoulder
height 1/2 in. I think I found early Ford studs worked quite well. Lug
nuts for the alloy wheels ran about $24.00. All in all a worthwhile
investment.
Good Luck,
Tony R.
"GT6s"