Re: Spinning wheel studs

To: mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca
Subject: Re: Spinning wheel studs
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 22:59:47 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

snip:
>I have two questions:
>1. When I bought the car one of the brake wheel cylinders was seized so I
>fixed it, installed it, put the wheel back on. Some days later I needed the
>wheel off and I discovered that I could not take it off because the wheel
>stud was spinning freely! I checked the other wheels (which had all been off
>at one time or another while I had the car) and discovered one spinning
>wheel stud on one of the front wheels. I don't have the car in front of me
>but it seems to me I should be able to unscrew the hub to get the back wheel
>off, but then what and I have any idea what to do about the front. What
>should I do to rectify the situation, can I put spot welds on each of the
>studs?
>
>2. As you can see by now what I really need is a good shop/repair manual.
>Apparently Haynes does not make one for the TR4 so I need an alternate
>source. Any recommendations on an economical (ie cheap) book? Does anyone
>have a used one they would like to sell? BTW I live in Alberta, Canada.
>
>All comments would be greatly appreciated!

Well, here's hoping I can help. I have a 64 TR4, and was into the rear
axles when I restored it some time back.
 You should be able to get the wheel off by undoing the backing plate
nuts, assuming they don't start turning in the process. Only problem is
the bearing housing, outer seal and axle will come out with it.
 The best suggestion I can give you would be if you have a Dremel tool or
some other small hand grinder, you may be able to cut a slot in the stud
large enough to get a bite with a screw driver. Hold the stud with the
screwdriver and turn the nut off with a box-end wrench, after you have
soaked the stud and nut with WD40 or similiar penetrating oil.
 I had another thought in mind, but I deleted it. After writing it out,
it looked like a lot more work.
 Let me know if this does or does not work and I'll see what else I can
come up with after a take a look at my car.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"
###