Spinning wheel studs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spinning wheel studs
From: mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca (Mark and Judy Dalmaijer)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 02:11:47 GMT
Hello Fellow TR Owners,

I have been recently converted to a british car nut by a brother-inlaw with
a beautiful 51 MG TD. Although I am not particularly mechanically gifted I
am very interested in cars and last summer bought a 64 TR4 which was in
reasonable shape (for $1000) and runs quite good. I have really fallen in
love with this car and intend to (slowly) fix things up to where they should
be as money allows this to happen.
I have two questions:
1. When I bought the car one of the brake wheel cylinders was seized so I
fixed it, installed it, put the wheel back on. Some days later I needed the
wheel off and I discovered that I could not take it off because the wheel
stud was spinning freely! I checked the other wheels (which had all been off
at one time or another while I had the car) and discovered one spinning
wheel stud on one of the front wheels. I don't have the car in front of me
but it seems to me I should be able to unscrew the hub to get the back wheel
off, but then what and I have any idea what to do about the front. What
should I do to rectify the situation, can I put spot welds on each of the studs?

2. As you can see by now what I really need is a good shop/repair manual.
Apparently Haynes does not make one for the TR4 so I need an alternate
source. Any recommendations on an economical (ie cheap) book? Does anyone
have a used one they would like to sell? BTW I live in Alberta, Canada.

All comments would be greatly appreciated!