Re: clutches

To: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutches
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 10:24:44 -0400 "clutches" (Oct 5, 1:35pm)
> Subject: clutches
> Hello everyone,
>
> Over the last week or so I have been having a problem with the clutch on my
> MkIV Spitfire, the problem is this, one minute the clutch will work fine and
> then it just won't disengage properly regardless of how hard I press the
pedal.
> I removed the g/box last night to find a broken friction plate(Spring and a
bit
> of the middle).  I had this happen a couple of months ago when the friction
> plate actually dis-embowelled itself and tore itself to shreds.  I have read
> that this can be caused by the engine backplate being misaligned, thus
causing
> the splined shaft that runs from the gearbox through the friction plate to
NOT
> run at 90 degrees to the flywheel(Sorry about the explanation).  What I would
> like to know is this, how can I check the back plate for straightness without
> removing it from the engine(or can't I), and also, what else may cause this
> happen.  Any ideas greatly appreciated.
>
> Rich
>-- End of excerpt from Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570

I have had the same problem in the past. I just talked to TSI Imported
here in the States to refresh my memory, and it was as I remembered.

There are two suppliers of clutch assemblies for the Spitfire. One is
AP and the other is Borg & Beck. For some reason, the AP set does not
hold up as well as the Borg & Beck unit. Schumacher has told me in the
past, as well as reiterating it today, that you are better off getting
the Borg set.

Unfortunately, when you buy the overhaul set, you don't always get all
the pieces from one manufacturer. Try to get the B & B set when you go
to replace everthing.

It doesn't seem logical to me that a crooked/bent backplate would cause
this problem, the trans is bolted to the top of the block, and the input
shaft does have a limited amount of float built in. OK, I guess if the
backplate were really bent, you could have a problem, but I think that
it would have to be bad enough to be seen with the naked (or safety glass
covered) eye.

Doug Mitchell