Re: clutches

To: "\"Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570\"@" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: clutches
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:16:57 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"@ wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Over the last week or so I have been having a problem with the clutch on my
> MkIV Spitfire, the problem is this, one minute the clutch will work fine and
> then it just won't disengage properly regardless of how hard I press the
>pedal.
> I removed the g/box last night to find a broken friction plate(Spring and a
>bit
> of the middle).  I had this happen a couple of months ago when the friction
> plate actually dis-embowelled itself and tore itself to shreds.  I have read
> that this can be caused by the engine backplate being misaligned, thus causing
> the splined shaft that runs from the gearbox through the friction plate to
>NOT
> run at 90 degrees to the flywheel(Sorry about the explanation).  What I would
> like to know is this, how can I check the back plate for straightness without
> removing it from the engine(or can't I), and also, what else may cause this to
> happen.  Any ideas greatly appreciated.
>
> Rich

Rich: Checking it for straightness and perpendicularity (!) is easy now
that you have the gearbox out. Get a steel straightedge or ruler and hold
it edgewise against the backplate. If you see any light between the two,
the plate is not flat. To check for squareness to the crank/flywheel, get two
carpenter's squares. Place one on the flywheel, the other on the backplate
and bring their faces together. Any gap between the two is an out-of
square condition.
Hope this helps.

Phil Barnes  '71 TR6  CC61193