Re: wheel trim ring

To: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: wheel trim ring
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:59:14 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: hal@gort.space.swri.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Phil Willson wrote:

> I didn't know I was anyone's friend, but here goes nothing:

Any friend of Heralds is a friend of mine.;-)

> The answer is that it depends (fudge).  I thought Vitesses always had
> 4.5J wheels.  If this is so, then the trim
> rings from a Herald saloon, convertible or a MK1, 2 or 3
> Spitfire won't fit because they had 3.5 width rims and the
> dish was much shallower.  The only trim rings that will fit,
> methinks, are those from a Herald Estate car which had
> the 4.5 rim wheels at least from 1967.  If the Vitesse in question
> has 3.5 rims then OK.

Early Vitesses (and Sports 6s) did have the 3.5" wheels.

> T2000 trims will probably fit but again I'd need to look at my
> books to find out.

The 2000 used the 4.5" wheels.

Judging mostly from pictures in the various books and sales
brochures, it seems that the same 12-rectangular-slot ring was used on
either wheel, unless the Spitfire prototype 412VC had 4.5" wheels.

I didn't go into my barn and pull a ring off my 2000, but I would think
that they'd fit either wheel. However, I've not tried it, so Phil might
be correct.

> Phil 'Confuse us' Willson (no, not Confusius)

Andy "Confused? Us?" Mace