Re: clutches

To: richard.jackson@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Re: clutches
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:09:51 BST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>From Rich:
> > Over the last week or so I have been having a problem with the clutch on my
> > MkIV Spitfire, the problem is this, one minute the clutch will work fine and
> > then it just won't disengage properly regardless of how hard I press the
>pedal.
> > I removed the g/box last night to find a broken friction plate(Spring and a
>bit
> > of the middle).  I had this happen a couple of months ago when the friction
> > plate actually dis-embowelled itself and tore itself to shreds.  I have read
> > that this can be caused by the engine backplate being misaligned, thus
>causing
> > the splined shaft that runs from the gearbox through the friction plate to
>NOT
> > run at 90 degrees to the flywheel(Sorry about the explanation).  What I
>would
> > like to know is this, how can I check the back plate for straightness
>without
> > removing it from the engine(or can't I), and also, what else may cause this
> > happen.  Any ideas greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Rich
Reply from Philip Barnes
> Rich: Checking it for straightness and perpendicularity (!) is easy now
> that you have the gearbox out. Get a steel straightedge or ruler and hold
> it edgewise against the backplate. If you see any light between the two,
> the plate is not flat. To check for squareness to the crank/flywheel, get two
> carpenter's squares. Place one on the flywheel, the other on the backplate
> and bring their faces together. Any gap between the two is an out-of
> square condition.
> Hope this helps.

That's right, Rich.  The bent backplate is caused by forcing the gearbox back
in using bolts rather than doing the
job gently.  The backplate flange moves backwards, springing the centre
forwards (nothing to do with soccer).
You must take the flywheel off to check the plate.  Ideally you should replace
it with a good one but in an
emergency I have heard of people using hammersand a bit of skill/luck.  If this
does turn out to be the problem,
be gentle when you refit the box.  Never force it.  Check your clutch is
centred properly (using an old input shaft,
if poss) and that the brass bush in the end of the crankshaft is OK.  Then once
you've got the splines aligned it
should go straight in providing you keep the box square on to the flywheel.
And try not to let the weight of the
box be carried by the input shaft.

See you Sunday.  No replies re Duxford so no other netters (nutters) are
coming, I assume.

Phil

From:   Phil Willson
        Electronic Engineering