Re: clutches

To: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Subject: Re: clutches
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 14:14:27 BST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 5 Oct 1995 10:24:44 -0400 Doug Mitchell wrote:

> It doesn't seem logical to me that a crooked/bent backplate would cause
> this problem, the trans is bolted to the top of the block, and the input
> shaft does have a limited amount of float built in. OK, I guess if the
> backplate were really bent, you could have a problem, but I think that
> it would have to be bad enough to be seen with the naked (or safety glass
> covered) eye.

Believe me, it is true.  It causes very juddery clutch take-up and eventually
leads to the breaking up of the clutch
plate.  In this condition it makes no difference what make of clutch you use,
but in general I would endorse your
opinion of the B&B components.  Some of the suppliers over here will not honour
the guarantee if it is obvious
that a bent backplate caused the failure - and it is usually obvious.

Phil

From:   Phil Willson
        Electronic Engineering
        Queen Mary and Westfield College