Re: throw away the rubber hose

To: Paul Swengler <widget@pixi.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: throw away the rubber hose
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 18:22:33 EDT
On Sep 12,  6:07pm, Paul Swengler wrote:

> The colour tune is a clear glass spark plug. You use it to see inside the
> firing chamber. the color of the combustion tells you how rich or lean the
> carbs are.

This part is correct - the Colourtune helps to get the idle mixture
set correctly.

> You "balance" the carbs by getting the ideal color in the first
> and last chambers. Once the color is correct the carbs are automatically
> "balanced".

This part is not correct - even though you'll have the correct mixture
at this point, you may or may not have the carbs balanced.  Balancing
the carbs means to equalize the air flow; in other words, you need
to ensure that they are both drawing the same amount of air.  It is
easily possible to have the air/fuel ratio right in both carbs but
have them flowing completely different amounts of this mixture.  In
this situation your performance will be affected drastically.  Send
me a couple of airline tickets and I'll be happy to come over to
Hawaii for a tech session!

John Lye

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU