Re: Spring compressors and shocks

To: Dave4357@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spring compressors and shocks
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 0:01:40 EDT
>When using spring compressors, please be SUPER careful.  A neighbor of mine
>had one break and it flew up into his face.  Even after reconstructive
>surgery, he still can't eat very well, and his face is a mess.  Be sure to
>point it away from any living people (or anything you want to keep).  Wearing
>a helmet with face protection is also a good idea.

        Paranoia is useful here.  TRF sells a very nice compressor for
TR3/4/250/6, with no chance of it slipping off (it replaces the shock
temporarily).  It's also nicely over-engineered.  That said, before I got it,
I removed the stock TR6 springs with the infamous garage jack (with MAJOR
paranoia (out of line of fire, hiding behind car, with a sheet of plywood as
well)).  Turned out with my stock TR6 springs to be paranoia, though I'd never
try that with my quite uprated springs I have now.  On the other hand, for
sprites (at least with stock springs), I just jack 'r up, undo the kingpin
nut, and drop it.  The spring is under 0 compression long before it can come
out (and the springs are wimpy compared to a '6).  I was a bit more careful
the first time with a sprite, though.

        Proper tools do make life easier.  I wish I'd sprung for the $45 or so
for the TRF spring compressor the first time I pulled the 6's suspension
apart, as I spent a lot of time prying, coercing, and cowering.  ;-)

        J random spring compressors that hook on the outside I trust far less
than things like TRF's design, which uses the spring pan and a 1/2" steel rod.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com