RE: Seeking Advice re Gearbox/OD

To: rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com
Subject: RE: Seeking Advice re Gearbox/OD
From: bc620@scn.org (Ernest G. Janzen)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 09:12:00 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>> My '76 TR6 has a non-functional O/D and the gearbox slips out of 3rd
>> gear when decellerating from high RPM's (around 3500-4000).
>
>I don't have an overdrive, but my '72 TR6 also pops out of 3rd on
>deceleration (more easily than Mike's, though--it doesn't take as much RPM
>to do it.  Rolling is just about enough...)
>
>> 1)  Does the 3rd gear problem require a gearbox rebuild, or is there a
>>     quickie repair to solve that?
>
>And if it does require a rebuild, what specifically am I looking for?  My
>box has been rebuilt twice in the past 3k miles, and this behavior began
>after the second rebuild.  The parts are almost entirely shiny-new.
>
>If you have a response, please include me on your Cc list.
>
>Thanks,

This may be a common problem?  I also have had extensive problems with
3ed slipping out, even after a rebuild.  (TR6 without overdrive.)
Something about a thrust bearing and a recommendation not to keep the
shift cover too tight.

I also would appreciate being cc or having responses to this problem
posted to the net if it is a common a problem as I suspect.

Thank you.

Ernest Janzen
bc620@scn.org