Re: Car Fire

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car Fire
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 10:40:19 -0900 (PDT)
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Gregory Petrolati wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, David Brock wrote:
>
> > Hello Friends.
> >
> > Has anyone any experience re-running a main harness?  Is it as
> > straightforward (but admittedly meticulous) as pulling out the old one and
> > connecting in the new one?  I have (and know well) the wiring schematics for
> > my car from the Haynes Manual.
> >
>       David,
>
>       I re-ran the harness on my TR4 when I rebuilt it. The first thing
>       I'd recommend is get the right harness for your Spit. My TR4 harness
>       was for a later `4  (it was the only one available at the time) and
>       there was some rerouting needed. Then check your wiring schematic,
>       and do a bit of advanced planning about what should go first,
>       and take your time... It takes longer than you think it should.

BTDT, and Greg is absolutely right, particularly about getting the
correct harness (if possible). Thanks to U.S. bell/whistle legislation,
these harnesses changed pretty much on a yearly basis during the 1970s to
accommodate new warning lights and buzzers (seat belt reminder, key in
ignition, non-filtered Camel cig. in ashtray, iron left on at home,
etc.). It's not usually all that difficult to adapt earlier to later and
vica versa, but it's easiest to begin with the correct harness.

One other thing to keep in mind, as fried as your present one may be.
Take time to note exactly where yours goes, connects, fastens, making
sketches and otherwise taking copious notes along the way. Don't rely on
your memory if you pull out the harness flambe this weekend and don't
get to the new one until October 20. And don't rely on any manual to
tell you that you should have run the subharness for the solenoid under
the master cylinder bracket rather than through the hole shared by the
radio antenna, etc. Also, don't rely on the schematics to be 101%
accurate. They're usually 99.44%, but there's often that one exception,
peculiar to YOUR car, that isn't covered (it was, for no good reason,
built to U.S. specs EXCEPT for the Euro-spec. nighttime taillamp dimmer,
or that extra power outlet for the hot-air popcorn popper added when Mr.
Reddenbacker took delivery...).

>       Oh yes... Since it's LUCAS it wouldn't hurt to check the position
>       of the stars, kill a chicken, and walk 3 time sunwise around your
>       Spit chanting "Oh, mighty Prince protect your unworthy servant..."
>       8*)

You might wish to make the incantations nondenominational, as Lucas was
not necessarily the only company to supply wire harnesses, then or now.
Otherwise, Greg's advice is SOP for this project!

  * NYS Library                         phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *

  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *