Seeking Advice re Gearbox/OD

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Seeking Advice re Gearbox/OD
From: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.ShoppersDrugMart.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 07:02:16 -0400
Encoding: 1393 Text
My '76 TR6 has a non-functional O/D and the gearbox slips out of 3rd
gear when decellerating from high RPM's (around 3500-4000).  I've
adjusted the OD solenoid, cleaned the pressure relief valve and dumped
the oil/cleaned the sump screen.  When cleaning I noticed some small
metal bits so expect the OD clutches are toast.

I'm going to attempt fixing this myself and am expecting to have to
pull the whole thing out of the car and decouple the gearbox and OD
before I do anything.  I've been told you *might* be able to remove
the OD from the gearbox in situ, but re-installing can only be done
with the gearbox removed and upright as the alignment between the two
is critical.

What I don't know is:

1)  Does the 3rd gear problem require a gearbox rebuild, or is there a
    quickie repair to solve that?

2)  What special tools/preparation is required before I get into it?

3)  What interesting things, not detailed in the Haynes/BL manuals, am
    I going to run across in my travels?

Any and all advice appreciated... thanks in advance.
Mike.

*  Mike Himelfarb - '76 TR6  |  "When all else fails, use a hammer..."   *
*  Mike@ShoppersDrugMart.CA  |                                 Taylor    *