RE: Seeking Advice re Gearbox/OD

Subject: RE: Seeking Advice re Gearbox/OD
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 95 11:34:00 CDT
Cc: "'Mike Himelfarb'" <Mike@ShoppersDrugMart>
Encoding: 25 TEXT
Mike Himelfarb says:

> My '76 TR6 has a non-functional O/D and the gearbox slips out of 3rd
> gear when decellerating from high RPM's (around 3500-4000).

I don't have an overdrive, but my '72 TR6 also pops out of 3rd on
deceleration (more easily than Mike's, though--it doesn't take as much RPM
to do it.  Rolling is just about enough...)

> 1)  Does the 3rd gear problem require a gearbox rebuild, or is there a
>     quickie repair to solve that?

And if it does require a rebuild, what specifically am I looking for?  My
box has been rebuilt twice in the past 3k miles, and this behavior began
after the second rebuild.  The parts are almost entirely shiny-new.

If you have a response, please include me on your Cc list.

Thanks,

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6
rkriggs@ingr.com