Re: Misc. GT6 questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Misc. GT6 questions
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 09:06:24 +0200
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <9509061654.2C2BE8@dickens.cellerity.com>,
bruceh@cellerity.com wrote:

> 5th and last...I noticed recently a posting regarding a supplier (in
> England) of folding canvas (Webasto) sunroofs. Has anyone ever installed
> one of these ?

Me.

> How difficult is it and how does the headliner get
> trimmed on the inside ?

Beside the obvious hole cutting, you'll have to do form a lip around
the edge, and weld in small strengthening pieces in the corners. Quite
basic metalworking skills, and it is all hidden by aluminum rails
afterwards.

For the actual hole cutting, you really need a tool that does not leave
bits of metal, and also leaves a smooth edge.

Although the instruction says you need to take out the headlining, it
was quite easy on the 2000 saloon, at least, to leave it in. The rails
holding the headlining had to be cut, of course, and fastened to the
sunroof frame.

I glued the headliner to the sunroof frame, first adding a thin layer
of spongy material around sharp edges to make it look neater. Again,
the aluminum rails provide the finish. It was easy to make a wrinkle
free finish, BTW.

The inner lining of the sunroof is not an exact match to the headlining,
but close enough for me. For an exact match, you'll have to have one
of them remade.

Using "Cold Front" when doing the MIG-welding, I also managed without
having to repaint the roof.

There is an instruction book that you really need.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway