Re: Replacing Shock Absorbers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing Shock Absorbers
From: "Max Blyton (06) 268 5963" <Max.Blyton@caa.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 16:35:00 +1000
A1-type: MAIL
Alternate-recipient: prohibited
Cc: brian.tink@ag.ausgovag.telememo.au
Disclose-recipients: prohibited
Hop-count: 2
X400-mts-identifier: [;85917111905991/1077711@A1CBR]
   Nick,

   I am a brand new Australian subscriber to the Triumph List, so I hope I
   have the addressing correct!

   With regard to replacing your lever arm rear shockers on your Spitfire:
   The suspension travel is usually limited in the downward direction by the
   lever arm's vertical link.
   1.  Jack the rear of the car under the axle to keep the suspension
       compressed.
   2.  Place a stand under the rear jacking point of the car body.
   3.  Undo the shock absorber vertical link retaining nut.
   4.  Carefully and slowly lower the jack, leaving the car sitting on the
       stand.  TAKE CARE THAT YOU DO NOT STRETCH OR DAMAGE THE FLEXIBLE
       BRAKE HOSE.
   5.  The axle assembly will now have descended far enough to release the
       road spring, thus removing the danger to life and limb.
   6.  You are now free to remove the shock absorber, spring, or any other
       component that takes your fancy.
   7.  When replacing, reverse the above procedure.

   For the front suspension, I am not so familiar with the Spitfire.  I am a
   TR man myself - my TR5 uses double wishbone front suspension, so you just
   unbolt the telescopic shockers.  I think the Spitfire uses MacPherson
   struts; if so, you will need to use a spring compressor (preferably two
   units), with care.  Other contributors may help here.

   Regards,
   Max Blyton
   1968 TR5 PI
   Canberra