Re: dashboard rheostat etc...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dashboard rheostat etc...
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 18:02:29 -0400
Triumphant Types,

>> coming. At least I know it really needed to be replaced.:) Meanwhile, I
>> received a new dashboard and am in the process of installing it.  The
>>dashboard
>> light rheostat is shot -- does anybody know of a cheap fix?
>
>  If you don't care about being able to dim the lights, just bypass the
>reheostat.  The one in my Spit hasn't worked since I bought the car.  I
>don't feel like shelling out the $50 or so for a replacement so I can turn
>the dash lights down when they're not even really that bright at full.  I've
>been idly keeping an eye out for a used one I could pick up cheap (like
><$10), but haven't found any yet.

These rheostats are often salvageable.  The 2 most likely failure modes
are: resistance wire broken / burned out (burned out due to dash circuit
shorting at some time), or corrosion of the "wiper" / resistance wire.
This would be caused by moisture entering the device.....on a Triumph?
nah, what am I thinking ? :-)

Either way, if you are pretty good at dismantling things with small fiddly
bits,
you can open it up and take a look to see if it's fixable.  What have you
got to lose? As Jeremy pointed out, you can just bypass it.

I'm not sure of the exact values, but I would guess that any "garden variety"
rheostat from a junk car would work if a mechanical fit can bodged.  Power
dissipation should not be a problem.  A Spit has very few dash lamps.

Bob