GT for Sale

To: "Tigers" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: GT for Sale
From: "A. C. Tynes" <actynes@communique.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:48:22 -0500
Group,

    Yes, it appears to be one of the 15 GT's, but forget it. My lovely bride
of three months says, "Look, instead of me making a down payment on a house,
why don't I buy it for you as a wedding present?" I think that is at least
on a par with a lady who would travel across the south in a 30-year old
Alpine while her husband keeps the list (or most of us) informed and
entertained with their progress.

    Unfortunately, without a house and garage, I have no place to keep it.
With a house and garage, there is no money to buy it. And since it isn't my
original Mark I, here is what I found out.

    The car Vin shows B9470212 LRXFE  with "GT" stamped in the upper
right of the VIN plate. Body shows as JAL575006. Color code is 86, other
numbers shown are 1249 and G13KA (engine number, I think?).

    The silk-screened plate is also there. I don't know enough about rivets
tell if the plates have been removed/replaced, but the interior looks like a
GT.

    There is no soft top boot and the area behind the seats is fully
finished. The
inner door panels have the waist roll on the upper edges and are embossed,
basically a series of horizontal lines. There is a chrome strip about a half
inch
wide near the upper edge with a blue Ford emblem in the center.

    Dash is wood and looks good except for a split in the padding running
front
to back near the center of the car. Seats are vinyl and overall the interior
seems
in good shape with floor mats and carpets.

    Bumpers and all chrome trim looks good.  Back window is good. Rubber
trim around hardtop needs replacing as well as weather-stripping in trunk.

    Engine is said to have been changed to a 289. Has an Edelbrock Performer
manifold with a four barrel. Six blade fan with an electric pusher. "Tiger"
finned
valve covers and "Tiger" air cleaner cover.

    Aftermarket wheels that don't match Norm's pictures of the LAT wheels,
but
they have round "Sunbeam V8 Tiger" center caps. Decent tires.

    Short shifter with an aftermarket "Ford" knob.

    Has hood scoop, looks like early T-Bird and appears to be very well
done.
Rust hole in trunk above left tail pipe bracket. Trunk lift up panel in
there, but some
fittings are gone and it needs at least to be recovered. Lacarrera wooden
steering wheel.

    Car has Colorado Tiger Owners Association window sticker. Story is that
dealer bought it in Colorado, sent it to auction in Auburn and then brought
it
to New Orleans. It shows 81,000 miles, claimed to be actual.

    Brake master cylinder just went out, with a new one due early in the
week.
I will go drive the car then, get it up on a rack and report further.

    Generally, the car looks good and solid, though the black repaint was
not
done really well. BTW, top and interior are also black. It obviously needs
some
attention, but it sure doesn't look like junk.

    If anybody has anything specific they want me to check out let me know.
My
home phone is (504) 835-6378 and office is (504) 364-2668. With a possible
hurricane coming to New Orleans, I can't promise to be here to answer the
phone
but I will take my laptop if I have to leave town.

    Of course, anyone is welcome to car the dealer direct - (504) 837-8395.
All
standard disclaimers apply and I have no financial interest in the car -
unless I let
my wife talk me into buying it.

A. C. Tynes