Re: 289 vs. 302

To: dbinkley@argotech.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 289 vs. 302
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 22:01:58 EDT

<< what are the pro's and con's of going with a
 289 versus a 302?  I'm asking more from the point of view of fitting things
 up and period look.

I agree with Dick's comments: Unless you want to spend a heck of a lot of
time, you won't tell any of them apart visually (unless running late model
GT40 heads).
One of the biggest "pro's" of running a 302 is parts availability. No one is
going to gouge you mercilessly like 289 stuff (really just the hipo variety),
everything is still current and, more importantly, up to date as far as
technology. Also, there is no replacement for displacement!
As far as fitment, there are issues involved with late model 302's, like crank
imbalance parameters. I understand early model-type dampeners are now
available in the correct weight imbalance, so that really becomes a non-event.
Mike Wood
B382002273