Re: Third Brake Lights

To: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>, "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: Third Brake Lights
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 08:11:48 -0400
Cc: "Scott Johnston" <sjonston@dreamscape.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On 7/5/98 1:30 AM so and so (Trevor Boicey) said. (And I quote:)

>Steve Byers wrote:
>>
>> Whatever happened to the idea that you leave enough room between yourself
>> and the cars in front that the brake lights of the car in front of you give
>> you plenty of warning that it is going to stop?  Or,  (since you are paying
>> attention and are a safe distance behind) you see the guy in front of you
>> have a collision and have time to stop yourself?
>
>  Since when is "more useful information" a bad thing?
>
>  Having a third brake light doesn't impede any of the aforementioned
>safety techniques, but it allows additional ones.
>
>  Let me guess, you unhooked all the gauges on your LBC and scorn
>people who "can't guess the speed by licking their finger and
>holding it out the window"?
>
>> Guess  I'll have to buy a van or SUV to see the third brake
>> lights ahead of me.
>
>  Again, same faulty logic, different angle on it. Just because *YOU*
>can't see the third brake light doesn't mean nobody else
>can.
>
>  Frankly, when you install a third brake light in your LBC,
>you can't see it anyways. It's the SUV with the real estate agent
>in it on the cellphone putting on lipstick, the one
>30 feet behind you and doing 60mph more than you are.
>
>--
>Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
>tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
Trevor, Trevor Trevor. Most of your post was appropriate, the line about
the finger in the wind was uncalled for. Play Nice

On to the topic - I went to the Keystone region show a couple of weeks
ago and there was a 77-78 Midget that had been through a fairly extensive
restoration. The owner had purchased a LED light (JC Whitney) and mounted
it under the chrome strip at the back of the cockpit. very tasteful. I
have to agree that if it helps that idiot behind me see when I step on
the brakes, it's worth it. On the other hand the normal brake lights are
just about as close to the top of the body as one can get, so I am not
sure if there is a real benefit in a "high" mounted tail light. (haven't
driven behind the Midget very much, usually in the cockpit doing the
driving, guess I'll have to ask the SU)

Lary Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?