Re: Third Brake Lights

To: Steve Byers <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: Third Brake Lights
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 01:30:11 -0400
Cc: Scott Johnston <sjonston@dreamscape.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Steve Byers wrote:

> Whatever happened to the idea that you leave enough room between yourself
> and the cars in front that the brake lights of the car in front of you give
> you plenty of warning that it is going to stop?  Or,  (since you are paying
> attention and are a safe distance behind) you see the guy in front of you
> have a collision and have time to stop yourself?

  Since when is "more useful information" a bad thing?

  Having a third brake light doesn't impede any of the aforementioned
safety techniques, but it allows additional ones.

  Let me guess, you unhooked all the gauges on your LBC and scorn
people who "can't guess the speed by licking their finger and
holding it out the window"?

> Guess  I'll have to buy a van or SUV to see the third brake
> lights ahead of me.

  Again, same faulty logic, different angle on it. Just because *YOU*
can't see the third brake light doesn't mean nobody else
can.

  Frankly, when you install a third brake light in your LBC,
you can't see it anyways. It's the SUV with the real estate agent
in it on the cellphone putting on lipstick, the one
30 feet behind you and doing 60mph more than you are.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/