[Spits] Some 1500 questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] Some 1500 questions
From: "v6spitfireguy@cox.net" <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 08:13:23 -0500
I just tore the 1500 (MG) engine down to do a quick inspection, and it
would appear that the engine has just been rebuilt.  The mains and rods are
.020 under, and it would appear that it was done because somebody spun a
rod bearing before.  The journal area around that rod (number 1) has
discoloration indicating that it got pretty darn hot.  Anyway, the job
looks to have been done correctly.  I did notice that the main bearings
were Cleavite 77's!  I didnt think that these were still available! If
they are I would like to know who carries them -
I also have a later head with the injector ports, so that will be replaced
with an earlier head.  Too bad, as I believe that the valves were done when
the rebuild was performed - It will probably be going on eBay since I dont
need an injection port head, and maybe somebody else does -
The pistons appear to be of stock dimensions and there is little if any
ridge (that I can feel anyway) but they are the dished 7.50:1 compression
variaty.  I was wondering about replacing them with the 9.00:1, 76 federal
flat top versions, but am a little concerned about possibly having to use
premium fuel.  Anybody used these in their 1500 and found this to be true?
I also notice that this MG unit has an extra bracket on the front motor
plate that attaches to the block on the left (or exhaust) side for a bit of
extra support that I don't believe the Spitfires never had.  Anybody
confirm this?  I may use it unless the header would hit as Ii like the
extra support that it would give-
I also got the water pump with the fan clutch, and am thinking about using
that as well
All this is going on my wife's 70 that already has a 1500 tranny, but is
currently sporting a 1300 with twin SU's which will be transferred to the
1500, although I would like to get a pair of 1 1/2 units instead of the 1
1/4 units on now!

Barry Schwartz
San Diego, CA

myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft. Windows. and Linux web and application