Re: [Spits] CV-Joint driveshaft

To: krhodes1@maine.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Spits] CV-Joint driveshaft
From: "v6spitfireguy@cox.net" <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 07:51:43 -0500
As far as I know, they are not rebuildable, however having said that I
would like to know what joint that was actually used because I believe that
it is the same joint that Canely Classics uses on the CV axle shaft
conversion.  If that is the case, then new ones could be obtained, and
welded on to the DRIVESHAFT to fix an old one, and I could use them for my
own AXLE SHAFT conversion.  I already have the outer CV joints from a 1500
FWD car and all I need is to get some inner joints that fit the diff.
These would!

As for the current drive shaft fix, the best bet is to get another drive
shaft from an earlier car with double u joints, not a CV jointed one and
rebuild that.  You may have to re-size it as there are different lengths,
depending upon which engine trans that you have.  The problem with just
replacing the CV joint with a standard one on your shaft is that You need
some sort of sliding spline arrangement to take up the small amount of
travel that still exists even thought the engine and transmissions are
mounted securely (there is still a little bit of travel because of the
rubber mounts).  This is accomplished by either a sliding joint in the
Driveshaft somewhere (In your case, the CV Joint) or in the earlier shafts,
by a strap arraignment on the Driveshafts (you need to see it to understand
how it works).  Simply welding another u joint on the end of yours will not
allow for the small fore aft movement,and will put a large amount of stress
on the engine and transmission mounts, causing them to fail very quickly.

Barry Schwartz
San Diego, CA