Re: [Spits] Some 1500 questions

To: v6spitfireguy@cox.net,spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Some 1500 questions
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:18:38 -0500
At 08:13 AM 12/28/2009, v6spitfireguy@cox.net wrote:
>The pistons appear to be of stock dimensions and there is little if any
>ridge (that I can feel anyway) but they are the dished 7.50:1 compression
>variaty.  I was wondering about replacing them with the 9.00:1, 76 federal
>flat top versions, but am a little concerned about possibly having to use
>premium fuel.  Anybody used these in their 1500 and found this to be true?

I've got a 76, I assume it's 9:1.  I use premium fuel.

The cost difference around here is about 12%.  That means, at 25 MPG,
it costs an extra $12 to go a thousand miles.  If I couldn't afford
that, I couldn't afford a Spitfire.  I have used regular and
mid-grade, but not in the hottest part of the year.  I didn't notice
any problems, though.

Of course, in sunny San Diego, it'll be a little more expensive.  But
it's been my experience that higher octane fuel is available most
everywhere.  You could store a bottle of octane boost in the boot for
emergencies.

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/
Corrosion Acres, Georgia         #354