Re: Cam Shaft

To: <JHMDDS@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cam Shaft
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 07:20:16 -0400
Your stock cam is a darn good camshaft as I recall.  Consider that.
*Really* consider that.  Hot-rod camshafts may increase performance in one
area, while usually harming overall performance and
drivability.

As for alternatives to those you've found, Crane, Isky, Piper, Elgan, Kent,
etc all have camshafts for your engine.  With even more choices of timing
lift and duration.  Some, like Crane, even offer asymmetrical camshafts to
help further confusion.

You really need to build the engine with the camshaft in mind.  A set of
DCOE's hanging off the side of a stock 1300 is a bad match.  Equally, a
screamer camshaft and a DGF downdraft is a bad match.

Personally, I've found Ted at TS a very good person to talk to about what
you're doing and selecting components to match.  He doesn't just put a piece
in your hand and pronounce it the best, he asks you what you're doing, why
you're doing it, etc.  I may not always agree with him, but of any vendor of
performance products he does the most to ensure you get the parts that will
work best for you and what you want the car to do.  Check for yourself, ask
him about his roller rockers, and listen to what he says.  You'll probably
be quite surprised.