RE: Spitfire differential with GT6 ring and pinion gears

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire differential with GT6 ring and pinion gears
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 17:13:00 -0700
Nope, All my research done many years ago, as well as practical
applications (my own swaps) is that the cases (large pinion bearing) are
all the same etc. There are of course differences in the number of leaf
spring mounting holes depending upon which spring is installed as well as
the carrier bearing sizes depending upon which carrier bearing sets are
used, so there are different parts numbers, but the physical sizes are all
the same and parts are interchangeable between all the large bearing
differentials, with the exceptions of matching the bearing sizes and gear
sets I have already mentioned.  Obviously you can't use large bearing
carrier bearings in a small bearing case etc.
However, the 3.27 gears are mounted WITHOUT lock washers (Loctite was used
at the factory), and they also have special part number thin headed bolts (
about half the thickness of the standard bolts) to allow for the difference
in offsets between the ratios.  That's how they got the clearance for the
higher ratios.  If you tried to use standard 3.89, 3.67, or 4.11 bolts,
they WOULD hit the case - ( I have taken MANY measurements of the parts in
the various diff :-})  Guess I should have kept a log book of sorts of all
the different setups, would have come in handy now!!

>Barry,
>I have never measured them but I was told that the 3.27 case was also
>different to accommodate the different carrier.

Barry Schwartz
La Mesa, CA (San Diego)