RE: Body work suggestions?

To: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Body work suggestions?
From: "Rob T. Getzinger" <RTGetzinger@scif.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 15:11:15 -0800
Dave,
I am just completing repainting my whole spit. I did all the work myself. This
is the third car that I have painted. Your answers depend on what you want when
done. I would be surprised if you don't wind up bondoing more than two spots.
You should at least sand down to the first or original layer of paint. If the
bottom layer of paint isn't original then I suggest sanding down as far as
possible. You didn't say if you would be removing all parts and painting each
piece separately, that is what I do. To get started easily you should first
tackle one of the two previously bondoed areas. I suggest using a 80 or 40 grit
with a bondo hog or DA sander and taking out the bondo on the nose. Go to bare
metal as much as you can and take the paint off at least 5 inches further than
their bondo went. Bondo in the gallon is cheap, buy a gallon. I suggest going
to your local auto paint store, they will tell you what brand to go with. Make
sure it is a two part or catalyzed bondo. Go to your bookstore and read up on
body and paint - don't put the bondo on too deep, hammer out the metal if it is
too deep. Also buy a 1/3 sheet sanding block, 1/2 sheet soft sanding block, 180
grit dry paper, extra long sanding block and some stick on 120 grit paper,
cheap black spray paint for blocking/guide coat. Put on the bondo, DA sand it
to shape, put on more bondo, spray a guide coat, go at it with your extra long
block and 120 grit, or 80/40 grit with an air flat sander or your extra long
board. When you think you might have it close then mask off the area and shoot
a primer surfacer on the nose, guide coat, then go at it with the 180 grit.
Likely repeat the steps. That will get you about 20 working hours into the job.
Once you get that far you will have an idea of the rest of the job.
Rob