Body work suggestions?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Body work suggestions?
From: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:36:34 +0000
Hello all,
  Well, after searching around for a paint shop that will spray the Spit for
the amount of money i want and being shot down time after time, I have
decided to do more of the body prep work myself than i had originally wanted
to do.
  That being said, i was wondering if i could get some lister knowledge on
different body prep techniques.
- Body filler:  I only have a couple places that need bondo to smooth them
out (rear end of the rocker panels where the guys welded them in).  I also
found out that the DPO decided to fill in the whole front end of the hood
where the letters T-R-I-U-M-P-H are because it had been smashed in, Should i
attempt to undo that?  or is undoing body filller a no no?  Any name brands
that I should stick to or stay away from?
- Sanding: 180-grit ok for the whole car before priming?  Or should i go
finer than that?  I am not planning on taking the whole car down to bare
metal
- Priming: Spray it myself?  Or leave that to the painter?  Again...Brand
names to use or not use?  I figure i will at least try my hand at it in some
un-noticable spots (trunk, underside of bonnet).  Than sanding the primer?
how fine should i go for before paint?

Thanks,
  Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org