Re: Crankshaft pulley nut removal

To: Robert Rutherford <rrutherf@ucalgary.ca>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crankshaft pulley nut removal
From: "Dr. Faustus" <dr_faustus@pcisys.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 20:00:04 -0600
At 07:42 PM 5/28/2005, Robert Rutherford wrote:
>Getting ready to change leaky font seal. No way the crankshaft pulley nut
>is coming off.  Using 1 and 13/16 socket, 1/2 inch breaker bar, 3 foot
>long pipe on bar, 4th gear, person holding brakes on and the engine still
>turns over slowly under the force applied. Clutch is new but the applied
>force (counter clockwise) is causing it to slip round. Positioned all of
>the above to leverage against the garage floor, disconnected the coil
>lead  to prevent engine starting in case it came loose and bumped the
>starter several times - nothing. My compressor is only good for 100 psi so
>the impact wrench had no effect. Nut has been doused with Releasall. Next
>stop seems to be to get to a garage with much more powerful impact wrench.
>Any suggestions?
>
>Robert  - 78 Spitfire

I've been there as well.  Never did get the breaker bar and starter motor
trick to work for me either.  I ended up filling a tank of air (It was
about 175 psi) and using a friend's impact wrench.  I only got about three
seconds of use from the tank, but it was enough to break it free.

Going back on was much easier using my huge torque wrench.  While you're in
there I'd replace the timing chain and tensioner as well.

Andy Lindeman