Re: Depressing News

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Depressing News
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:12:59 +0100
Dear All,

Thank you very much indeed for your sympathy and advice.   It seems
clear that most of you believe that just repairing the present problems
is not a sensible option (regardless of whether I intended to sell the
car or keep her).   That leaves me with the options of selling her as an
MOT failure, and maybe getting a few hundred quid back; breaking her for
spares, and maybe getting a bit more than that; or hanging onto her
pending a complete restoration that may never happen.   In all honesty,
I doubt that I will ever gain the requisite welding and bodywork skills
to do the job myself, and I know that the cost of paying professionals
to put a car like this right is going to be approximately the same as
buying a perfectly-restored car.   Ideally, she would need a new
chassis, a new body shell, new doors, new boot lid, and a new bonnet.

However, I am currently in denial, and am finding it really difficult to
accept that my beloved Spit is scrap.   She can sit in the garage for a
few days while I try to come to terms with this, and then I will
probably take off the (near-perfect) hard-top and sell it, as the first
step on the road to saying goodbye.

:-(((

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671