Re: Depressing News

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Depressing News
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:45:21 -0400
Hi Michael,
so sorry to hear about your misery. Not good news at all.
As you may know, body work is what Wilf and I do best and we sooooooooooo
often see people pour a lot of money into mechanics, parts, interior, without
realizing that the body/chassis, the structure of the car, is falling apart
from under them and the money spent to get the car running mechanically good,
is not worth the effort if there isn't a solid body to work with.
Unfortunately, body work and structural repairs are so expensive if you have
them done by someone. This work is so very time consuming.
We've just put 1200 hours into the body work of our GT6, so we know. Spitfires
aren't worth a lot of money even when sound and in excellent shape.
In my humble opinion, being the perfectionist that I am, even 'patch up' quick
body repairs are never the answer because they may solve a problem for the
time being, but the body will collapse at some other area and the trouble will
start over again. I'm just simply not a believer in trying to keep a car
running this way. So, from what you write, a total frame of resto should be
done to Carly.

I think, were I in your position and not able to repair the body and frame
myself, I would sell Carly for the best price I could get. It's sad to do so
but, maybe some day,
you will be in the position to purchase another Spitfire in better condition.
I don't think you'd get your money back should you have the necessary repairs
done to get the car through MOT.

Sorry that this message is not more encouraging but I think there comes a time
when a car is not worth any more financial expenses.
All the best.
Liv
67 Spitfire
70 GT6+