RE: Problem getting the horn

To: <public@sweavo.34sp.com>, "'spitfires list'"
Subject: RE: Problem getting the horn
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:39:09 +0100

Hi Steve,
No problems with a single horn for the MOT, BTDT. Dismantling and cleaning
everything inside the horn will most likely get it working, biggest problem
I've had is finding gasket thick enough for re-assembly, just the result of
poor planning on my part. If the gasket is too thin the internal contact
clearances are reduced outside the range of adjustment. The external spade
connectors can also be brittle.
Early herald horns, and possibly those on the earliest Spitfires, are held
together with screws and nuts, in other respects they are more-or-less
identical to the Spitfire units. Drilling through the body at the rivet
points will make things easier next time....
Cheers,
Bill.

Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232