RE: Exhaust Downpipe Gasket

To: "'Michael Hargreave Mawson'" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust Downpipe Gasket
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:04:07 +0100

Hi Mike,
Triumph design them in too, just not in the case of the 1500 exhaust. In the
case of the 1200, 2000 and other exhaust manifolds, the pipe is continued
into a recess in the manifold so that the gasket is shrouded. This is not
the same as just adding a piece of tube, the opening in the manifold is
widened so that where the sleeve is fitted the overall bore remains
constant. If you want to do this with a 1500 manifold you are going to have
to speak nicely to the man at the machine shop. You're also going to need a
different gasket as it's effective bore will now need to be wider to clear
the sleeve,
Cheers,
Bill.

http://www.rarebits4classics.co.uk