Re: Exhaust Downpipe Gasket

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust Downpipe Gasket
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:13:19 -0400
In a message dated 4/4/2005 3:04:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
doug@dougbraun.com writes:

>Lock washers are not particularly effective.
>You can find all-metal self-locking nuts that would
>probably work OK.  They have a tight, slightly springy top
>part that makes them hard to turn on the stud.
>
>Or maybe replace the studs and nuts with bolts that you can safety-wire.

======
Admittedly, Ed didn't specify what car he was referring to, but I'll assume it
was the Herald as per his .sig line.

Seems to me that a lock washer ought to work as well as anything in most such
applications (although perhaps NOT on the UK-spec twin-pipe manifold, where
apparently nothing works!), seeing as that is what was originally called for.
I'd be leery of the all-metal self-locking nuts, as some of them tend to be
pretty brutal on whatever bolt or stud they're used on.

--Andy Mace