RE: Spitfire Gear Box Oil

To: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>, <doug@dougbraun.com>,
Subject: RE: Spitfire Gear Box Oil
From: "Jim Holmgren" <jholmgren@advertising.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:31:08 -0400
Received this handy tip from Joe Curry (thanks Joe!), figured I should
share it with you all - I think this is the way I'm going to go:

One other thing I should mention:  If you get yourself some clear
aquarium tubing (the big stuff about the size of your finger), you can
fit it into the filler and run it up and forward so that it sticks up
ahead of the firewall into the engine compartment.  Using a small
funnel, you can watch the oil flow through the tubing until it starts to
accumulate in the tubing.  At that point you can remove the tubing and
quickly install the plug without losing much of that expensive oil.  Put
a clean drip pan below the opening to catch any of that dear stuff and
pour it back in the plastic bottle.