Re: Spitfire brakes question + Heating question + Map lights!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire brakes question + Heating question + Map lights!
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 07:16:32 +0100
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, at around 21:15:22 local time, Andrew Beck
<abeck@ica.net> wrote:
>Ok, so I just picked up my 1979 Spitfire today!  I am very excited.
>
>I think that I need a new master cylinder.  Sometimes when I press the brake
>pedal there is no pressure--then when I pump it a few times, I gain pressure
>again.
>
>Was reading about how to do this; the hardest part seems to be bleeding the
>lines.

You've had some good answers to this one already, and I have nothing to
add.

>Second question -- my heater controls seem very stiff -- in fact, the one
>control does not want to move all the way to the right and stay there....
>Not sure how it is supposed to work....

I had the same problem with mine when I first got it - the result of it
having been a "summer only" car, I suspect.   The answer is to find a
1/16" Allen key, use this to remove the heater control knobs, then
unscrew the four screws holding the central panel of the dash in place,
then squirt WD40 on the pivot points.   If the controls are still stiff,
go into the engine bay, and lubricate the valve with the same WD40.   I
found that repeatedly opening and closing the valve whilst doing this
eventually freed it up.

>Third question -- how do you turn off the map light?  It comes on with the
>headlights, but I cannot figure out how to turn it off!!

When they were new, the map-light could be switched off by lifting the
main piece up until it was horizontal.   Over the years, the little
plastic doo-dad that holds it in place tends to snap, leaving you with a
drooping map-light.   This can be more than irritating, as the bulb gets
VERY hot if left on for long periods of time, and I'm sure could end up
causing a fire.   As a workaround, unscrew the bulb-holder end slightly,
until the connection is broken.   You can then screw it back up if you
want to use the light.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671