Re: Spitfire brakes question + Heating question + Map lights!

To: abeck@ica.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire brakes question + Heating question + Map lights!
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:18:46 EST
> Ok, so I just picked up my 1979 Spitfire today!  I am very  excited.
> I think that I need a new master cylinder.  Sometimes when  I press the
brake
> pedal there is no pressure--then when I pump it a few  times, I gain
pressure
> again.
Could be time for a new/rebuilt cylinder. But from what you describe, it
might be worth doing two things first:
1. Adjust the rear brakes...and then, if that doesn't help,
2. Bleed the entire system.
A half-hour's time and a bit of brake fluid might save you a whole bunch of
money. And unless you know the brake fluid's been flushed recently, this is
probably a good idea regardless.
--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a  jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your,  er,
Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price  Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)