Re: Spitfire brakes question + Heating question + Map lights!

To: Andrew Beck <abeck@ica.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire brakes question + Heating question + Map lights!
From: Tim Schuh <tim@ugly.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:56:27 -0600
Andrew Beck wrote:

> Ok, so I just picked up my 1979 Spitfire today!  I am very excited.

Congrats!  I picked up a 76 1500 yesterday. :)

> I think that I need a new master cylinder.  Sometimes when I press the brake
> pedal there is no pressure--then when I pump it a few times, I gain pressure
> again.

That's what it sounds like to me.  I've had to replace a couple of
master cylinders with just that symptom.  It's really not that
difficult.  Just read the procedure in you shop manual a few times until
you understand exactly what you're doing and you'll be fine.

> Was reading about how to do this; the hardest part seems to be bleeding the
> lines.

Speedbleeders have been really good to me and my RX-7's.  I'll be
getting a set for my Spitfire ASAP.

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/speedbleeders.html

> Second question -- my heater controls seem very stiff -- in fact, the one
> control does not want to move all the way to the right and stay there....
> Not sure how it is supposed to work....
>
> Third question -- how do you turn off the map light?  It comes on with the
> headlights, but I cannot figure out how to turn it off!!
>
> Thanks in advance for any help...  (I am a bit new to this!)

I hope to be able to answer questions like this after I get mine running. :)

--
Tim Schuh
Network Primate