Rear Axle Wear

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Rear Axle Wear
From: "Gary" <garytash@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:06:27 -0700
I have the rear axle (Spit 1500) on the bench.  The bearings were well
greased and clean.  The bearing surfaces on the axle are showing some
wear.  Particularly the outer bearing surface which, unlike the inner
surface, is not nice and shiny and is a little rough.  Prior to
disassembly, there was no noted problem with the bearings.  I'm
replacing them as routine maintenance.

I'm wavering whether I should replace the axle.  I always get into a
endless loop of 'yes - no - but . . '  I'm looking for any guidelines or
alternatives to help me break out of the loop.

Thanks

-Gary