Re: Rear Axle Wear

To: <parrotthead01@comcast.net>, "Gary" <garytash@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Wear
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 00:37:34 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Parrott <parrotthead01@comcast.net>

> I found a vendor who could solve this problem forever, although I have not
> yet tried it.  He will take your rear hub and machine to fit a new roller
> bearing that rides on an inner race instead of the needle bearings riding
> directly on the axel.  With this setup, you should not have to replace the
> axels every 10,000 miles.  You send him your axel, and he'll do the
> modifications for $250 per half axel.  I may do this upgrade this winter.
> NFI.  If you are interested, drop me an email and I'll forward his email
> address.

Hi Dan,
    I'd certainly be interested in what he's doing, but more from a selfish
commercial point of view :-) I don't know of anyone here in the UK offering a
similar conversion.
Incidentally, is anyone really only getting 10,000 miles out of a halfshaft?
Even a poorly maintained shaft should last 40-50,000 miles, those which are
correctly looked after should outlast the car,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics