RE: Spitfire front trunnions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spitfire front trunnions
From: "DASHWOOD, Dean, FM" <Dean.Dashwood@rbos.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:21:16 +0100
I always used to ensure my trunnions were oiled regularly - it was very easy
since there was a trunnion-oiling stand at the Stafford show every year!
Since the disappearance of the trunnion-oiling stand a couple of years ago,
I haven't been quite as thorough as I should - and maybe I was paying the
price for that, or maybe it was unrelated, but last year, as I was doing a
U-turn, my vertical link snapped, leaving me stranded.

Initially, I was quite horrified at the thought of such a critical piece
failing.  But I've since been told by everyone that these things only ever
snap when turning at very low speed, as happened to me, and it's slightly
less scary when you know that.  In  the end, the biggest inconvenience was
trying to get the car towed to the garage.  It's obviously not going to move
anywhere with half the front suspension dragging on the floor... and believe
it or not, AA flat-bed trucks don't carry a trolly-jack as part of their
standard equipment!

Dean