RE: Spitfire front trunnions

To: "DASHWOOD, Dean, FM" <Dean.Dashwood@rbos.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire front trunnions
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:26:33 -0400
Unless you are using your Spit as a taxi,  I really doubt that
skipping a year or two of oiling would kill an otherwise good trunnion
or link!

BTW, using a threaded stud to carry a tension and shear load
(with a lot of shock) is an abomination, from an engineering
point of view.  There is a good book by Carroll Smith that has
a lot of good info on how and how not to use bolts, screws,
and other fasteners, with an emphasis on suspensions.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit