Re: Non-spitfire but car related question

To: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Non-spitfire but car related question
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:18:31 -0700
At 11:52 AM 10/14/02 -0700, John Hobson wrote:
>My friend had a service on her Ford Ka and the garage have charged an
>extra #80 for removing the spark plugs because they were 'welded in
>place'.  I'm guessing that they or she don't mean literally welded, but
>they were stuck tight and had trouble getting them out.
>
>I'm thinking that garage are trying to pull a fast one on her as I've
>never before heard of a spark plug getting stuck, they're hardly done up
>tight anyway!  The plugs were replaced during the last service in
>November 2001 so it's extremely unlikely that they have rusted in place.
>The car has been driven regularly over the year.

Plugs can and do get stuck in cylinder heads, especially in aluminum.  They
won't rust, but they do get deposits on them.  Dissimilar metals also have
this effect when power is passed through the body of the plug.   Anti-seize
compound is a good idea on aluminum heads applied very very lightly.

-Vegaman Dan