:( motor, motor, good news, bad news

To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject: :( motor, motor, good news, bad news
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:52:33 -0500
The good news is that I have finally gotten around to remove the oil pan
from my 'new' Spit motor.

The bad news is that the bearing shells for the crankshaft bearings are
worn down to the brassy color and there are little bitty teeny weeny groves
worn into the crankshaft bearings.

But there were no metal shavings in the bottom of the oil pan.

So here's my first question, and I think I already know the answer.  Can I
use the crankshaft as it is, with very small groves worn into it?  (of
course, I need to replace the shells)

If I cannot use it, can I just put the crankshaft from my 'old' engine,
which has nice shiny smooth bearings and (let's assume for the sake of
discussion) the parts where the pistons rods hook up are in good shape,
into the 'new' engine?

Is there really an Easter Bunny?

Thanks.

Jeff Gruber