Diaphragm replaements

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diaphragm replaements
From: "Jim Cullen" <jcullen@cbi.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:38:27 -0400
Hello all,

After six years of carb bliss (and joyful ignorance of my CD150) I decided
to obtain the tool to adjust my mixture. The mixture had previously been
leaned out to get through British Columbia (Canada) emissions, now that I
live in a hotter province (at least in the summer) that does not have
emission tests (at least for cars over 20 years of age) I thought that this
would help in dropping the operating temperature.

Unfortunately having never seen the inside of the carb and not understanding
how the tool actually worked I did not discover that the tool that I bought
was about an inch too long for the outer part of the tool to engage the carb
properly so that I wouldn't tear the diaphragm as I adjusted the mixture.
So, to make a long story short I tore the diaphragm, I am gaining a better
understanding of my carb, and have officially shortened the tool I bought so
it is able to function properly.

My question is now that I have to install a new diaphragm are there any
suggestions, tips that I should now of before I make another blunder?
Specifically, once I reset the needle does it matter how the needle is
reset - does the "housing" that holds the needle need to be oriented at any
specific angle or matched up with anything. Other than that the job looks
very simple - right?

Thanks

Jim Cullen
74 Spitfire