Re: Undercoating One More Time

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Undercoating One More Time
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:38:31 -0700
At 09:34 AM 6/12/01 US/Eastern, frandrum@voicenet.com wrote:
>Hi Listers,
>
>I know the list occasionally gets on the topic of removing undercoating
but I can't locate
>the previous runs.
>
>Can I get some inputs on the easiest/least messy ways for removing this
stuff.  It was
>worthwhile when the MKIV was daily transportation but it doesn't go with
being pretty and
>staying out of the bad weather.

There's only two ways of removing undercoating that I know of:

Mechanically removing the coating.

Chemically removing the coating.

I've done a bit of both and by far for the ease of work and the cleanest
results I'll use chemicals any day.  Mechanically removing it means wire
brushes, chisels, scrapers, knives, etc.  It is pure brute force and no fun
at all.  If you use an aircraft stripping agent, it will melt away pretty
easily leaving an undamaged surface beneath it.  The shed material dries
out pretty fast and can be swept up like so many wood chips.  You still do
scraping, but nowhere near to the same extent.

-Vegaman Dan
 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |