Re: Undercoating One More Time

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Undercoating One More Time
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:57:26 -0400
The "best" ways I've ever heard of were either using something like diesel fuel
to soften it and scrape it off, or using a CO2 bottle to chill it and breaking
it off.  Both are lousy techniques, but seem to be the best.  It's a horrible
process on the best of days.  I've never frozen it, but I've disolved it,
ground it, wire brushed it and burned it.  Solvent was the best of those I've
actually tried.

But why are you removing it?  Undercoating has more to do with sound deadening
then rust proofing.  In fact it tends to promote rust.  Remove it and the car
will be noticably noisier (boomier, rattlier, etc).  You'll also do quite a bit
of damage to the painted surfaces scraping the stuff off, requiring repainting
to fix.  So consider it carefully before starting the job.

>>> <frandrum@voicenet.com> 06/12 9:34 AM >>>
Hi Listers,

I know the list occasionally gets on the topic of removing undercoating but I
can't locate
the previous runs.

Can I get some inputs on the easiest/least messy ways for removing this stuff.
It was
worthwhile when the MKIV was daily transportation but it doesn't go with being
pretty and
staying out of the bad weather.