Re: Introduction

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Introduction
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:09:31 +0100
In article <5.0.2.1.0.20010528200941.02d8fec0@tpbuck.inbox.email.arizon>
, Tyler Buck <tpbuck@u.arizona.edu> writes
>Well, I've been lurking in the shadows for a few weeks on this listserve so
>I thought I should introduce myself.  I just bought my first LBC three
>weeks ago, a 1978 Spitfire.

Congratulations, and welcome.

>  Needless to say I have become addicted to
>researching DIY projects and repairs for the car in the very short period
>of time that I've owned it.  I think I may have actually visited all of the
>web pages that fellow spitsters have created.  Before I start bombarding
>the lists with all of my little questions about the car I thought I might
>offer a service.  Over the past weeks I have looked through dozens of
>catalogues and hundreds of web sites trying to find the part/s that I need
>at the cheapest cost.  As I'm sure all of you do.  Today I realized it
>would be relatively simple to code up a program (oops, forgot to tell you
>I'm a Comp. Sci major at the U. of Arizona) that would return the cheapest
>vendor for the desired product.

I do love to hear experts in their fields talk about things as being
"relatively simple"!   This would be completely impossible for me -
although it is a project that I had been considering using a card-index
for...

>  The only problem I have found is all of
>the varying product numbers.  Is there any source for common part #'s?  I
>did find an official parts catalogue on an auction site....should I use
>this as a reference?

I don't know how easy it would be to create a database that would
contain all the various part numbers of all the various vendors, but
this would also be an incredibly useful tool.   By all means start with
the Triumph numbers, but if you could add those non-standard numbers
used by the big vendors as well, that would be wonderful.

BTW, TRGB (http://www.trgb.co.uk) uses the same part numbers as Moss.

>  If and when I get this working, would this be of
>interest to any of you?

Absolutely!

>  I can probably put it up on a web page for every
>one to access.  I can't promise results yet, but any insight into what
>factors I'm missing would be great.
>
>For the time being I'm only going to concentrate on Spitfire parts.

Suits me. :-)

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"