Re: Introduction

To: tpbuck <tpbuck@u.arizona.edu>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Introduction
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 30 May 2001 03:12:21 -0500
Tyler,

Great idea!  Many parts suppliers (at least in the UK) use the original Triumph
 part numbers for their parts (even when aftermarket copies are used), although
 some part numbers are replaced (e.g. Rimmer Bros. use their own numbers for
 reconditioned engines, amongst other parts).  I would expect that, even for
 the parts where suppliers use their own numbers, the supplier will have a
 cross-reference between these and the original Triumph part numbers.  If you
 look through the price lists from Rimmer Bros. or Moss (UK version) they tend
 to list all the original numbers, but have a "Use part no. XXXXX" against
 those parts where they have their own number.

Maybe the best thing would be to use an original Triumph parts catalogue (still
 available as a re-print from some places) as the 'Master' set of part numbers,
 and then put the individual suppliers part number against their price where
 that number differs.

I actually started to do some of this, just comparing Rimmer Bros., Moss (UK),
 and TRGB, when trying to work out how much it would cost to build a complete
 1500 from the available spare parts...  I'll send you a copy of the
 spreadsheet separately, since I doubt all the List wants every last detail!

You are letting yourself in for a LOT of data entry, and it may be some work
 keeping prices up to date when they change...

Good luck!

Richard & Daffy (Inca yellow 1500 Spit)