Re: Weber Manifold

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber Manifold
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 00:18:57 -0600 (MDT)
Triple DCOEs on a GT6 can take three basic routes.  First if you have a Mark 1
with the straight port head, you could be looking for a suitable manifold for
quite some time.  Consider going to a later motor and keeping the original as
a spare to pop in for car shows.

For the Mark 2 (GT6+) and Mark 3 cars, the intake port spacing on the head is
the same as the later 1974-on TR6 heads.  So you have two more choices.  You
can use a later model TR6 manifold and modify the bonnet ( cut with an axe,
beat to fit, paint to match ) or you can get a stepped manifold set and work
with that.  If the car needs to conform to some set of rules, like SCCA prod
car regs where you can't modify the body for carb clearence, then one of the
stepped setups is the way to go.  These were available as a set of three cast
pieces, each with a different angle and droop from the head mating face to the
carb mating face.  I'm not sure if TriumphTune in the UK is still manufacturing
these manifold sets, originally produced by SAH, which stands for Syd A.
Hurrell, father of Terry Hurrell who carries on the family tradition with
TriumphTune.  I think that Ted Schumaker at TSI in Ohio may have a set or
two on hand.  Contact info for above suppliers in the Monster List.

There isn't a whole lot of room under the GT6 bonnet.  How many times have you
seen them with a little dimple and cracked paint right near the nose of the
bulge, pushed up from the inside by a poorly placed hose clamp on the
thermostat housing?  Anyway, the straight across TR6 manifold that fits the
later wide port heads should fit on a GT6, and is more readily available.  As
I recall, though, TWM wanted some outrageous price for their manifold and
linkage set, even more than Paeco!  And it is pretty rare for Paeco to *ever*
have a lower price than another supplier for the same quality of goods.

Getting the linkage right is easier with the straight manifolds and a modified
bonnet, the stepped manifolds require more fiddling.  Once again the clearence
situation around the front carb can be quite a pain.  And fitting decent air
filters for a road car can also cause a few extra gray hairs.  One of these
days I may actually get a chance to try an ITG three hole filter on a custom
drilled backplate, we shall see.

So the bottom line is that you can use a later TR6 kit, and hack the bonnet.
And change the chokes and all the jets to reflect the 2 liter motor's needs
rather than the 2.5 liters of the TR.  Tuning the things once installed is
a different kettle of fish, we'll discuss that later.

Or you can use a GT6 specific manifold set, and fiddle about getting that to
fit.  This of course assumes that there are valid reasons you wish to part with
maybe $1500 to $2000 US Dollars all told to fit and tune Weber DCOEs in the
first place.  I do know I like the pair I have fitted to the Killer Spit!

mjb.